Are you looking to learn new skills working with stretch fabrics?
Join us and learn the techniques required when working with stretch and jersey fabrics, the stitches to use on the sewing machine and overlocker, preparation and finishing techniques. We will also teach you how to adapt a commercial pattern (for stretch knits) to your individual shape and size. You are welcome to bring along your own pattern or work with the Jersey Wrap Dress (an adapted version of the Vogue 8379).
- A ‘how to’ guide for working with stretch fabrics
- Seams and stitches for stretch fabrics
- Understanding commercial patterns, how to adapt them for your individual shape and size
- How to use the overlocker, available stitches and uses
- Sewing stretch knits on a sewing machine
- The importance of interfacing jersey (what to use and when)
- Introducing sleeves in stretch knits
- Sewing a hem in stretch fabrics
Level: It is necessary to have previous sewing experience on the sewing machine. Experience with stretch knits and the overlocker is not necessary. If you don’t have an overlocker at home you are welcome to create the garment on a sewing machine.
Material: Provide the fabric and notions required for the pattern of your choice. If you wish to make a Jersey Wrap Dress we recommend you purchase the following pattern (Vogue 8379). Please provide approximately 3 metres of jersey fabric for the dress (depending on size), matching Gutermann Polyester Sew-All Thread 100m and co-coordinating overlocker thread e.g. Moon Thread x 4. We will supply stretch knit interfacing for a small fee.
Please inform us in advance should you wish to use our sewing machines and / or overlockers during the class. If you are bringing your own overlocker you must be able to thread the machine and have a basic understanding; if you would like to brush up on these techniques please attend our How To Use: Overlocker class.
Teacher: Aneka Truman
Class Length: 12 Hours
Number in Class: 6